I did it. I ran the Salinas Valley Half Marathon. It was my first Half Marathon. In fact I don't think before training for this race I had ever run more than like 8 miles in my life. I actually liked it. I mean, it was hard, but very gratifying. I liked setting a goal and actually achieving it. I tried my best to train all summer and I actually suprised myself with somewhat staying on track with the training. (thanks to my wonderful husband who provided time for me to run while he held downt he fort) I'm definitely not someone that LOVES running. But I have always enjoyed the challenge of long distances. Ever since I can remember I have never been a very fast runner, but just like Forest...I could just keep
runnang. I may not be in the best shape or finished in great time, but all I needed was some heart, and I know I've got that. I just kept having to tell myself, there's no way that wrinkly old man can run this race and I can't! So I did, and I ran the whole thing without walking at all. Though, there were times where I felt like my run was so slow that I might as well have been walking. Oh well. To be honest, it was sort of a bittersweet feeling at the finish line. I was happy that God gave me the strength to not walk for 13 miles, but I was bummed at my time. I thought I'd do better. So just to prove it to myself that I can do better, I had to sign myself up for another Half Marathon in Morgan Hill on Oct. 23rd. My goal is to train harder and simply run faster. Why am I doing this to myself???? Wish me luck! ;) The crazy thing is, that I felt old! I really felt 30! I mean, I felt like I wasn't that tired, like I could have kept running, but my body just hurt. My knee, my hip, my foot.....oh, the aches and pains of getting old.

The race ended at Pessagno winery (very yummy wine!) I got a Tshirt, a medal and a wine glass for running. The best part of the race was the free wine afterwards! :) I couldn't think of a better time to drink wine then when your body is beat up, exhausted, and barely holding itself together. ;)
4 comments:
Hello Anna,
So nice to see your growing family! Are you still an ES for Ocean Grove? Emily is my only one in Ocean Grove still. I'm homeschooling my boys independently as they are now highschoolers!
Wow, Li'l John has grown! Your blog is lovely. I've been blogging since February. If you want to see my blog, it's at:
http://susannasapron.blogspot.com/
Again, wonderful to read your news!
Blessings,
Lisa Smith
You're amazing! I'm so proud of you for signing up for another one! Wow! And for the record, I think that's the worst time to drink a glass of wine...gross. :) Love you!
Congratulations on your run. I think it's awesome that you ran the whole way and that you're doing it again. I really enjoy your writing. Love, Diane
Congrats Anna! I don't know how you squeezed in training amidst caring for 3 young children...you are amazing! Good luck on your next race!
Post a Comment